Monday, February 26, 2007

The last couple of weeks

Having finally completed my marking I'm now playing catch-up on my blogs.

PAFSD got off to a good start 2 weeks ago - numbers at Portsmouth are a nice size for a final year option but still not the 20+ the department prefers and I've yet to hear the numbers at St Patricks.

Here in Portsmouth we spent the first lecture looking at what the unit would be about and then I gave a lecture introducing the patterns and their history.

Last week, in the first half of the lecture, we did an exercise on using a pattern catalogue which give students an opportunity to look at Alexander's pattern catalogue and to consider how you might pick patterns for a project. I hope to do this exercise with the St Patrick's students tomorrow morning.

In the second half of the lecture we looked at two software patterns: Template Method and Memento. I then asked the students to look at Strategy and Factory Method for next week plus do some reading from Gabriel's book:

Gabriel, R.P., (1996) Patterns of software: Tales from the software community, Oxford University Press, ISBN: 0195121236 - also available to download from Richard Gabriel's web site Dreamsongs

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

It’s me again. I should mention, your visit @ our St Patrick’s was very much productive. In order to remind you exactly who am I, I was the one on a Nike top with hood had specs on who flooded the questions as soon as I heard that you were intending to answer some. I was the 4th in the first row from your right hand side.

May be it was just me bluffing around, but being a pupil all since the age of five, what I experienced is for some reason, pupils feel shy/uncomfortable even though they know, the matter isn’t clear enough for them. As soon as the lecture becomes over, I’ve to answer their queries. I never mean, all the pupils are as dumb as I am, but still a large number of students feel unclear once the lecture or workshop is being delivered. What confuses me is why asking questions become so big deal that no one tries to overcome it.

Finally, I am glad to cite, the coursework is clearer to me. After you departed, I’ve been asked (by extraordinary intelligent students) to stay quiet as many times as possible. They mentioned, there wasn’t any problem for them to understand it. In contrast, (as usual) there were positive feedbacks; I feel proud to learn, I’m the voice of the class. I do ask questions that bound these sort of pupils among the walls of silence.

Have a good day!

Respectfully.

Okey said...

Hi,

Having been through the coursework again, I have created a blog at this address: http://okey-pafsd07.blogspot.com. I added a link to the unit blog to the footer of my blog homepage. Is this all I need to do to link my blog to the unit blog?

I hope this is alright, if not let me know if I need to add my blog link to the unit blog.

Thanks,
Okey

susan said...

Hi
Jane
I have read your pattern on how you visit our college i really love the way you expalin about the pattern design to us. I also like the way you plan every day event of your work i will add this to my life panning. It is good to have record of everything someone do each day. I like your way of panning. Susan falode St-patricks college Here is my blog link http://susan-emmy23.blogspot.com you can read through it.